For several months now we've been waiting for Park to tell us when he was ready to try riding his bike without training wheels. We knew he was ready, but he didn't want to try. My cautious child. Here's how the conversation went Saturday morning:
Dad: Park, do you want to try riding your bike today?
Park: NO.
Dad: Why not? You can totally do it. You've been riding that strider around like it's nothing.
Mom: Yeah, Park. If you can ride the strider, you can ride your bike.
Park: I know I can't do it.
Mom: You don't know unless you try.
(repeat conversation several times.)
Dad: Listen, I'll give you some starbursts if you try it. You don't even have to do it, just try and I'll give you a starburst.
Park: Ok...
Why does it always come down to the bribe before they'll actually do it?
It still took some coaxing, but he did try and you know what? That was it. He took off like a pro!
Several hours afterward Park asked me:
Park: Mom, what makes your heart beep faster?
Mom: Well, exercising makes it beat faster. And sometimes when you get excited it'll beat faster.
Park: (With his hand on his chest and a big grin on his face) That's it! I'm excited that I can ride my bike! That's why my heart is beeping faster!
We are so proud of him!

3 comments:
Way to go Park! And by the way, you better be nervous that Milo is making it up the stairs. He's going to be climbing before he starts walking! Love you Kar!
Way to go Park, AND.. that is seriously the cutest story ever. I love it!
Karin...I love it! As I was reading your experience with Park it was so similar to corbins adventure. It's so exciting isn't it? Corbin couldn't stop telling everyone. So funny. By the way I love the family pictures!!! beautiful!!
Post a Comment