We had Indie's assessment with the school district on Wednesday. It went something like this..."Indie come here, let's see what toys I have to play with." Indie would then proceed to run away or crawl under the table because he cannot be told to sit down and match objects to their picture, or to string beads on a string. Can he do these things? Yes...will he do them is a better question. And the answer is no, especially if he thinks you want him to and even more especially if it's an adult that he doesn't know. So after about 20 minutes of fighting him and trying to get him to do something (they even bribed him with candy) even the district people gave up on trying to get him to do anything. And consequently he scored in the 1st percentile on everything. Then I sat and filled out several questionnaires...and Indie ran around, I kept trying to go get him when one of the district people said, "oh, don't worry about him, there's nothing he can get into and so and so will watch him." Of course I believed her. I assumed that since they assess three year old children there all the time that she knew what she was talking about. After about 15 minutes I hear some lady say, "is anyone missing a child?" and automatically without seeing him I say, "he's mine!" and sure enough he was. Apparently he found a door that opened to the rest of the Kids on the Move building and was wandering around upstairs, on the other side of the building. One of the girls that works with Indie recognized him and said I must be downstairs in the assessment center. That's my child! *sigh* Well, he qualifies for the special needs preschool and will start right after his birthday in January! It will be really good for him. We haven't seen a child psychologist yet to have him diagnosed. I'm still debating whether or not to do that. I have a feeling they will tell me he has PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) which basically means he has developmental delays in more than one area. I feel like it all stems from his Sensory needs. He's just too busy getting input that he doesn't learn the same way other children would. I know what's wrong and what to do to help him, so does he really need a label? I don't know. We'll figure it out. For right now, he'll start preschool. YAY!
5 comments:
I say forget the labels and just let Indie be Indie and do what's best for Indie. As part of my counseling internship I'm getting flooded with labels and everyone is using it as an excuse for one thing or another and NOBODY is focused on what's best for the student! You guys just keep being the awesome parents that you are and leave the labels for my Christmas presents!
Steve
I've labeled him, "Little Scott."
He's just looking for something to blow up.
That's great! He's super cute!!!
I like Lori's comment. It made me snort. GOod thing I didn't have anything in my mouth at the time, especially something liquid. You can only imagine. Karin, I can feel the pain. I really, really liked the child development center if it helps anything. They were very good at educating me, and letting me do what I felt like as a mom. It takes 4-6 months to get an apt. so I would call and make it now, and then if you don't want to take him, you have PLENTY of time to cancel. love you!
Post a Comment