Normally "stupid" is not a word that we use in our house, but in this case I think it is justified. So our ice maker broke a few weeks ago. We called a few repair places to see how much it would cost to have someone come out and look at it. The range was between 70 and 90 dollars. That doesn't include parts. After waiting a few weeks (and a lot of nudging from Scott), we finally called the place that would actually come all the way out here to take a look. Their price was $84.50. We figured that at most it would cost maybe $30 or $40 for parts. The guy came this morning. He opened it up, said the motor was broken and needed to be replaced. He went out to his truck and got a new motor. He then replaced it. All of this took less than 15 minutes. He never said how much the new motor cost. I should have thought to ask, but I figured if it was a crazy high number he would tell me. Then we sat down and he started filling out the receipt, this took longer than the actual repair. I didn't get the grand total until he had finished adding everything up. $195.30! Just to fix the stupid ice maker! If I had known that the motor was $99 I would have said, no thanks, we'll go buy some trays. I know Scott wouldn't have been too happy with that, he really loves the ice maker. But, man alive! That is a LOT of money for a freaking ice maker! If that thing breaks again any time soon, like in the next five years, Scott is just going to have to go without an ice maker.
Steef, if you need us to do the math for you please let us know....we realize this is probably confusing you.
Quick Update
14 years ago

2 comments:
Woah, what a lovely surprise. Blah. I hate it when people aren't up front with you before they go charging you up the wazoo for stuff that you can do without. However, Dan would be with Scott on this one...the ice maker is more of a necessity than a want. :)
Wow, did you get screwed! I don't have a calculator, but you're lucky the flux capacitor didn't go out, then you'd have been in real trouble.
S
Post a Comment