Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Indie

I think I have finally come to grips with the fact that Indie most likely has Autism. We've not had him officially diagnosed yet, and it will most likely be a while before we do. It might never happen, who knows. Right now I feel like he is getting the services he needs and we are working with a wonderful woman by the name of Megan Heath who is helping us understand where Indie is at developmentally and what we need to do to help him become not just verbal, but a good communicator and eventually a good logical thinker.

This journey for me began before I even had kids. I think Heavenly Father knows what experiences each of us needs. In my case I found a job working at a preschool for children on the Autistic Spectrum just after Scott and I were married. I worked there for nearly two years before I had Annicka. That job made me very aware of my children's developement. I began watching each of them as they came along looking for signs of Autism and after Annicka and Park I was relieved. As I've watched Indie grow the knowledge slowly came. I knew something was wrong about the time he was 18 months and he was doing crazy things to meet his sensory needs. Then he just wasn't talking, his eye contact wasn't great. After working with Kids on the Move and the Occupational Therapist explaining what Sensory Processing Disorder is, I knew that was what Indie has. I still very strongly believe that Indie's sensory issues are what is causing all of his developemental delays. That said, I know that if he were seen by a child phsycologist, the sum total of his symptoms would put him on the Autisic Spectrum. I know my Heavenly Father has been preparing me for this for a long time. But I still don't know why it's been so hard for me to acknowledge that my child has Autism. I guess my biggest fear is that others, including those in the school district, will take that label and use it to hamper his progress. I think that fear comes from my own original narrow-minded idea of what Autism is and what it means for children who have it. Even after working with those children for a while I still didn't understand what it really is. I could identify it, and if you described certain things to me I could say, "Yeah, they probably have Autism." I would see other people's children and think, "that child probably has Autism." It's only been since I've watched Indie grow and learn, albeit very slowly, that I've really come to understand that Autism isn't the child. I've heard lots of people say that before, that the child isn't their diagnosis. And to a certain degree I understood, but I didn't to the degree that I do now. That children with Autism just learn differently. It takes more practice and a lot longer, but they can learn to not just talk, but communicate in meaningful ways and build relationships. I've also learned that this challenge is meant for him. This is his earthly experience. And while I am affected by his challenge and need to do what I can to help, this is his. This experience was chosen specifically for him. So that he can learn and grow in the ways that he needs to. And honestly as difficult as it is, I wouldn't change it for the world.

4 comments:

thepalmierifamily said...

It's hard in many ways to acknowledge. I cried as I read this because I know what you're feeling. It's hard because sometimes I worry with Aaron that people won't be understanding or respectfully of his way of learning or communicating. I'm pained when he's made fun of by other kids. I've had many reassurances by the spirit that I'm not alone in the world. Today I had another one, that not only do I get to be the mother of a very special child with very difficult challenges, that I also get to be the sister of a wonderfully woman that faces the exact same challenges! Not only am I not alone in the world, one of the people that I love most in the world, my very own sister, has the ability to understand me. I hope that I can do that for you too Karin. As I've been told, "you're stronger than you know". It's true about you. Indie is so special and wonderful and so lucky to have you and Scott. If anyone can help him face his challenges you can. These special ones also have the ability to have and exercise great faith in the Savior. It makes me love them even more.

Giles Family said...

Karin I admire you. What beautiful thoughts and wisdom. All of our children have their individual challenges. You're an incredible mother. It's a amazing what the power of love can do for all children. Love you girl.

Lindsay and Mike said...

Wow! Karin, you are such an inspiration to me & everyone around you. That was a beautiful post. Your Indie is so lucky to have *you* as his mama. With you (and his Heavenly Father) on his side, helping him along the way, I know that he will grow & develop into a great young man! {{Hugs}}

JGEM said...

You are so brave.