Well, this might be a pretty long entry, so don't feel obligated to read the whole thing. Yesterday Annicka was supposed to go and get her hard cast. We didn't get one on Monday because of the swelling in her elbow, it needed to go down first, otherwise a cast wouldn't really do any good, it would fit too loosely. We got to the doctor's office at noon and after more x-ray's and lots of waiting Dr. Ritchie told us that we needed to take Annie up to Primary Children's hospital so that she could get pins put in. Apparently according to him and the doctor up at Primary's this should have been done on Monday when we went to the ER the first time. I guess the doctor who looked at the x-ray's didn't realize how rotated her bone was. I don't think he was a radiologist. Anyhow, so we got home from the doctor's and ate some lunch (not Annie, because she had to go into surgery soon) then packed some clothes, just in case and we were headed up to Primary's by 2:45. We dropped Park off at my brother's place and began the waiting session at the hospital. (Thank you Maggie for watching him for so long!) We had to start in the ER, yet again, because I guess that's just how they do same day surgery for things like this at Primary's. After more waiting and more x-rays and more waiting and waiting and waiting...you get the point...Annicka was in surgery at about 8:15p. She was out by nine. The procedure was very simple, they didn't even have to open her up. They have a little x-ray machine that they turn on, put her bones in the right place and then they insert the pins through her skin. They moved us down to the Rapid Treatment Unit (for those kids around less than 24 hrs.) at about 9:30 or 10. Annicka continued to be really sleepy and groggy for a while and we thought we'd end up staying the night. She woke up at about midnight and was wide awake and complaining about the IV in her foot. After we got her to go to the bathroom the nurse said we could go, or we could stay over night, it was up to us. Annicka wasn't sleeping and I had a feeling I wouldn't be either and so we opted to just go home. We were out of the hospital by one and home by two. Needless to say we are all a little bit tired today and are just taking it easy.

We took these pictures this morning while we let the kids play outside. As you can see, Annicka is doing pretty well, especially since she is chalk full of Lortab and Ibuprofen.


Next week we go back to get a hard cast, after the swelling has gone down. That'll be on for two or three weeks and then they'll take that off and the pins out. She'll have one other follow-up appointment a few weeks later and then it's back to jumping off the couch.
4 comments:
Oh my gosh!!! I don't check blogs for a few days & this is what I find??? I'm so sorry about Annie's arm...but what a tough chick to go through it all so well! Now, that's a TRUE woman right there! Good luck with keeping her off the couch from now on... :)
Oh man, Karin, sounds like you've had quite the ordeal! Poor little Annicka. I'm glad she's doing better. Pain meds are miracle drugs in my opinion! :) And I'm glad you're keeping us all updated. I've been checking your blog often to find out the end of the "story." I can just see Anders shoving Soren off the couch (or the other way around, for that matter). I don't look forward to the breaks that I'm sure will come with boys. :) Give Annicka a hug and a kiss from us!
Well.. what an adventure you are having!!! I hope it all goes well!!!
Oh poor girl!!! Kenzie told me Annicka broke her arm. I can't believe she did it jumping off of the couch!?!
Post a Comment