Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you?

I don't usually do cheesy reminiscences because, well, their cheesy. Today I feel a little differently about it. Last night the Scouts were coming around putting up flags for 9/11 and Annicka asked why they were putting up flags again, they just put them up on Monday. This is the first year that she has been old enough to ask such questions. So I tried to explain by telling her that some really bad men flew airplanes into buildings and a lot of people died and so we are remembering those people and the people who tried to help them. I guess I was taken aback, I didn't expect to be so moved by her asking. I remember the day very clearly. I had just started my Freshman year at BYU. I had a 7am Spanish class and after it got out I was actually getting a permit for my bike when I started to hear people talking about planes and the World Trade Center. I rode my bike back to my apartment and turned on the TV just in time to watch the second tower fall. It felt like watching a movie. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I remember the fear and panic I felt. The sinking feeling of loss. Then when Scott got home from work today he turned on the news and we saw some footage from that day. He called Annicka in so she could watch it. They proceeded to talk about what was happening on the screen. He was explaining that a lot of people died, that even the bad men died. Then Annicka responded with, "but they'll be resurrected one day." Out of the mouth of babes. I am so grateful for the plan of salvation and the hope it brings in the midst of despair, for a Savior who was willing to make that plan possible. Even though life can be really crappy, and it will be crappy, our Savior is there to succor us, to give us comfort and strength, especially during the 9/11's in our lives.

5 comments:

Rob and Lori said...

We had the same conversation with Mason. I was in a sleeping patient's room when I heard about 9/11. His tv was left on the news channel. Unbelieveable. Even now.

Lindsay and Mike said...

Mike & I had slept in that day. His first class wasn't until 10 am and I didn't have to be to work until 1:00 pm. Mike got up and left for school & I got up and got in the shower. When I got out of the shower, the phone was ringing. It was Mike telling me what had happened. I sat there, watching tv for the next several hours & cried. I think I was just in shock over the whole thing...like most Americans. It was kind of the end of "feeling safe" in America. Such a sad day!

thepalmierifamily said...

I had been home from my mission for almost 3 weeks. I was rooming with little sister. I was in my first pediatrics class for the semester and the teacher said that she didn't have time to interupt class for something so trivial. It wasn't until I went home and watched on TV what happened that I realized how serious it was.

Liz said...

Karin! I was feeling pretty emotional on the 9/11 this year, too. And I also talked to Soren about this, only apparently he's not channeling the Plan of Salvation because his response was, "Jesus should kill those bad guys!" :D Or . . . maybe it's just him being a boy. I dunno. Anyway . . . thanks for sharing, my friend.

Amy Jo said...

I love the response Annicka gave. What a reminder to be like a little child..

I was thinking about 9/11 more this year than usual so it was nice to read your post.